The Bill amends the Liquor Licence Act to set out licence conditions that apply with respect to the sale of maple wine or mead at a farmers' market.
Bill 184 2017
An Act to amend the Liquor Licence Act with respect to maple wine and mead
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1 The Liquor Licence Act is amended by adding the following section immediately before the heading "Hearings":
Maple wine and mead at farmers' markets
22.1 (1) In this section,
"farmers' market" means a central location at which a group of persons who operate stalls or other food premises meets to sell or offer for sale to consumers products that include, without being restricted to, farm products, baked goods and preserved foods, and at which a substantial number of the persons operating the stalls or other food premises are producers of farm products who are primarily selling or offering for sale their own products; ("marché de producteurs")
"maple wine" has the meaning set out in the regulations; ("vin d'érable")
"mead" has the meaning set out in the regulations; ("hydromel")
"production site" means property that is used by a manufacturer primarily for the alcoholic fermentation and production of Ontario wine. ("lieu de production")
Conditions on licence
(2) If the holder of a manufacturer's licence manufactures maple wine or mead and if the Registrar, under clause 3 (1) (e) of the Liquor Control Act, authorizes the manufacturer to sell the maple wine or mead at an occasional extension of a winery retail store that the manufacturer owns and operates at its production site, where the extension is within a farmers' market, the manufacturer's licence is subject to the following conditions:
1. The manufacturer shall comply with any authorization of the Registrar relating to the store.
2. The municipality, if any, in which the farmers' market is located has not advised the Registrar in writing that it objects to the sale.
3. The manufacturer shall provide the Registrar with notice of the location and dates of the intended sales in advance.
4. The manufacturer shall ensure that its maple wine or mead that is offered for sale at the farmers' market and that is not sold is returned to the manufacturer's store within 24 hours from the time it leaves the manufacturer's store.
5. The manufacturer shall ensure that any sampling that it conducts in conjunction with the sale is conducted in accordance with the guidelines on sampling and market research issued by the Registrar and published on the website of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, as they are amended from time to time.
6. The manufacturer shall ensure that any person involved in the sale or sampling of liquor holds a certificate demonstrating the successful completion of a server training course approved by the Board.
(3) Nothing in this section authorizes the establishment or operation of farmers' markets at which all or a substantial number of the products sold or offered for sale are one or more of maple wines or mead.
2 Subsection 62 (1) of the Act is amended by adding the following paragraph:
29.1 defining "maple wine" or "mead" for the purpose of section 22.1;
3 This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4 The short title of this Act is the Liquor Licence Amendment Act (Maple Wine and Mead), 2017.