Bill 97 2006
An Act to amend the Child and Family Services Act
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 102 of the Child and Family Services Act is amended by adding the following subsections:
(2) Within 30 days after this subsection comes into force, or as soon after as possible, the Lieutenant Governor in Council shall, on the address of the Legislative Assembly, appoint a person to be the Child Advocate to be responsible for the operation of the Office of Child and Family Service Advocacy.
Officer of the Assembly
(3) The Child Advocate is an officer of the Assembly.
Term of office
(4) Subject to subsection (5), the Child Advocate shall hold office for a term of five years, and may be reappointed for further terms of five years each.
Removal from office
(5) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may at any time remove the Child Advocate from office for cause, on the address of the Legislative Assembly.
Report to the Legislative Assembly
(6) The Child Advocate shall, in every year, make a report in writing and shall deliver the report to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
Contents of report
(7) The report mentioned in subsection (6) shall contain whatever information the Child Advocate considers appropriate, but shall contain, at a minimum, a report on the activities and finances of the Office of Child and Family Service Advocacy, the outcomes expected in the next year and the results achieved in the previous year.
Laying before Assembly
(8) The Speaker shall lay the report before the Assembly at the earliest reasonable opportunity.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Child and Family Services Amendment Act, 2006.
The Bill creates the office of the Child Advocate. The Child Advocate oversees the Office of Child and Family Service Advocacy, and is required as part of his or her duties to submit a report each year to the Legislative Assembly summarizing the activities, finances and expected outcomes of the Office, and the results achieved by the Office.