Bill 167 2006
An Act to amend the Legislative Assembly Act
with respect to salaries in lieu of retirement credits
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Legislative Assembly Act is amended by adding the following section:
Salary in lieu of retirement credit
63.0.1 (1) At the end of every month in which an individual was a member of the Assembly after the end of the calendar year in which the member reached 69 years of age, the member shall be paid an amount of salary equal to 5 per cent of the following amounts payable to the member for that month:
1. The amount paid to the member under subsections 61 (1) and 62 (1), other than an amount paid to reimburse the member for expenses actually incurred.
2. The salary, if any, paid to the member under the Executive Council Act.
(2) Despite subsection (1), no amount shall be paid to a member under that subsection unless the Assembly by appropriation authorizes the payment.
(3) The amount of salary paid to a member under subsection (1) shall be in addition to the salary paid to the member under other sections of this Act.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Legislative Assembly Amendment Act (Salary in Lieu of Retirement Credit), 2006.
The Bill amends the Legislative Assembly Act to require that members who have ceased to be members of the registered plan for MPPs' retirement because they have reached the age of 69 years will be paid an amount of salary equivalent to the monthly plan credit that they would have received if they were still members of the plan. The payment is made as long as the members remain members of the Assembly and is in addition to the rest of the salary normally payable to members.