Leslie Frost became Premier of Ontario in May, 1949, and led the province during a significant era of economic growth following the Second World War.
In 1880, the provincial government launched a design competition for a new provincial legislative building to be situated at Queen’s Park, Toronto - an early design proposal is pictured here.
Agnes Macphail - one of Ontario's first two women MPPs - became the first woman in the province’s history to chair a meeting of the Legislative Assembly on March 1st, 1951.
The first permanent statue honoring a historic figure on the grounds at Queen’s Park – that of Father of Confederation George Brown (1818-1880) – was unveiled in 1884.
Following Edward Blake’s resignation, Oliver Mowat is sworn in as Ontario Premier. Along with his reputation as a lawyer and as a Father of Confederation, his many reforms would shape the province with programs such as worker’s compensation and children’s aid.
The Legislative Building and grounds are grandly decorated to welcome the first official royal visit of a reigning monarch. On May 22nd, 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth entered the Legislature and were honoured during a ceremony in the Legislative Chamber.
The first session of the Ontario Legislature opened on December 27, 1867 and continued until February, 1871. Meetings are held in the Front Street Legislative Building, originally completed in 1832.
John Sandfield Macdonald was appointed the first Premier of Ontario by Canada’s first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald – they were not related.
The United States of America declares war on the United Kingdom in June – the War of 1812 begins. General Sir Isaac Brock – also acting as Administrator of Upper Canada - is mortally wounded at the Battle of Queenston Heights in October, 1812.
Much of the legislation passed during the earliest sessions of Upper Canada’s Legislature deal with the establishment of services in the colony, such as the clearing of land and the creation of roads.