Bill 42 2008
An Act to amend the Smoke-Free Ontario Act
Note: This Act amends the Smoke-Free Ontario Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History on www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. (1) The heading to section 9 of the Smoke-Free Ontario Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Controls Relating to Smoking Tobacco and Other Substances
(2) Section 9 of the Act is amended by adding the following subsection:
(0.1) In this section,
"controlled substance" means a substance listed in Schedule I, II, III, IV or V to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada).
(3) Subsection 9 (1) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(1) No person shall smoke tobacco or any controlled substance or hold lighted tobacco or any burning controlled substance in any enclosed public place or enclosed workplace or within 10 feet of that place.
(4) Subsection 9 (2) of the Act is amended by striking out the portion before paragraph 1 and substituting the following:
(2) No person shall smoke tobacco or any controlled substance or hold lighted tobacco or any burning controlled substance in the following places or areas or within 10 feet of them:
. . . . .
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Smoke-Free Ontario Amendment Act, 2008.
The Bill amends the Smoke-Free Ontario Act to extend the prohibition against smoking tobacco in any enclosed public place, any enclosed workplace or other places such as schools to include a prohibition against smoking any controlled substance as set out in the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada) in that place or within 10 feet of that place.