Bill 94 2003
An Act to amend
the Election Act
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Subsection 34 (2) of the Election Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Form of ballot
(2) Each ballot shall be in the following form:
1. The names of the candidates shall be shown in capital letters on the ballot, with consecutive numbers preceding each candidate's name.
2. The surnames of the candidates shall be printed in bold type.
3. Subject to subsection 27 (8), the names of the candidates shall be listed in alphabetical order according to their legal surnames, with given names preceding the surnames.
4. At the request of the candidate, a sobriquet, abbreviation or familiar form of a given name may be used in lieu of the candidate's legal given name or names.
5. The ballot shall contain in rounded brackets after each candidate's name,
i. the name of the registered party with which the candidate is affiliated, as set out in the register maintained by the Chief Election Officer under section 13 of the Election Finances Act, or
ii. the word "independent" if the candidate has declared as an independent candidate.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Election Amendment Act, 2003.
The purpose of the Bill is to require election ballots to set out candidates' political affiliations.