Bill 50 2001
An Act to improve
safety on 400 series highways
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following section:
154.1 (1) If a highway designated by the Lieutenant Governor in Council as a controlled-access highway under the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act is divided into more than one lane of travel for a direction, no person shall drive a motor vehicle of Class A as described in Ontario Regulation 340/94 in the extreme left lane for that direction unless the other lanes for that direction are obstructed .
(2) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations providing circumstances in which subsection (1) does not apply.
General or particular
(3) Regulations made under subsection (2) may be general or particular in their application and, without limiting the generality of this subsection, may apply with respect to certain classes of motor vehicles or persons, but not other classes.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Improved Safety on 400 Series Highways Act, 2001.
The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act. A person driving a Class A motor vehicle in a direction on a controlled-access highway where there is more than one lane must not do so in the extreme left lane unless the other lanes are obstructed. Regulations under the Act can provide for other exceptions.