Bill 133 2001
An Act to amend
the Optometry Act, 1991
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 4 of the Optometry Act, 1991 is amended by adding the following paragraph:
4. Prescribing designated therapeutic pharmaceutical agents for the treatment of prescribed diseases.
2. Section 12 of the Act, as re-enacted by the Statutes of Ontario, 1998, chapter 18, Schedule G, section 40, is repealed and the following substituted:
12. Subject to the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council and with prior review by the Minister, the Council may make regulations,
(a) restricting the drugs that a member may use in the course of engaging in the practice of optometry;
(b) designating therapeutic pharmaceutical agents for the purpose of paragraph 4 of section 4.
3. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the Optometry Amendment Act, 2001.
The Bill amends the Optometry Act, 1991 to allow optometrists to prescribe therapeutic pharmaceutical agents for the treatment of certain eye diseases.