In 1880, the provincial government launched a design competition for a new provincial legislative building to be situated at Queen’s Park, Toronto - an early design proposal is pictured here.
The first permanent statue honoring a historic figure on the grounds at Queen’s Park – that of Father of Confederation George Brown (1818-1880) – was unveiled in 1884.
On September 1st, 1909, a devastating fire breaks out on the west roof of the Legislative Building, destroying nearly its entire west side including the Legislative Library. Over 100,000 books were destroyed.
Ontario's new Legislative Building at Queen's Park is opened officially on April 4, 1893.