Bill 130 2004
An Act to support
children's charities in Ontario
Ontario's children's charities are an invaluable component of the socio-economic network of the Province and are deserving of the support of the community through innovative funding programs.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Children's charities program
1. (1) When a person pays a fee for the issue, renewal, replacement or transfer of a permit, licence or number plates under the Highway Traffic Act, the Minister of Transportation shall ensure that the person is informed that he or she may make a donation to support the work of children's charities in Ontario and may, if the person so requests, obtain specially designed number plates in recognition of the donation.
Collection, receipts and remittance to charity
(2) The Minister of Transportation may collect amounts donated under subsection (1) and, on collecting an amount, shall ensure that,
(a) a receipt for the amount is issued to the donor;
(b) a duplicate of the receipt is kept; and
(c) the amount collected is forwarded to the Ministry of Children and Youth Services within a reasonable time.
Establishment of trust fund
(3) The Minister of Children and Youth Services shall,
(a) establish a trust fund into which shall be paid the amounts donated in accordance with this section; and
(b) develop and maintain criteria for the distribution of funds from the trust fund to children's charities.
Application for distribution of trust funds
(4) In accordance with the criteria for the distribution of funds from the trust fund and upon the application of a children's charity, the Minister of Children and Youth Services may distribute funds from the trust fund to the children's charity.
(5) For the purpose of this section, an organization or agency is eligible as a children's charity if,
(a) it is a registered charity under the Income Tax Act (Canada); and
(b) its primary objective is the improvement of children's lives in the Province of Ontario.
2. This Act comes into force on a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor.
3. The short title of this Act is the Kids First Licences Act, 2004.
The Bill proposes an optional program allowing persons to make donations to support the work of registered children's charities in Ontario when paying fees for licences, permits and number plates issued under the Highway Traffic Act. Donors may request specially designed number plates in recognition of their donations.