University of St. Jerome's College Act, 1996
The purpose of the Bill is set out in the Preamble.
An Act respecting the
University of St. Jerome's
The University of St. Jerome's College has applied for special legislation to change the composition of its Board of Governors. The applicant represents that it was continued as a corporation by the University of St. Jerome's College Act, 1986.
It is appropriate to grant the application.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Sections 7, 8, 9 and 10 of the University of St. Jerome's College Act, 1986 are repealed and the following substituted:
Corporation managed by Board
7. (1) The affairs of the University shall be managed, supervised and controlled by a Board of Governors which has all the power necessary or convenient to perform its duties and achieve the objects of the University, except for matters that may be assigned by this Act to the Senate.
Composition of Board
(2) The Board shall consist of,
(a) the president and vice-president of the University;
(b) the Provincial Superior of the Congregation of the Resurrection in Ontario, or his delegate;
(c) at least one lay person who is a member of the teaching staff holding professorial rank;
(d) at least one member from each of,
(i) the non-teaching staff of the University, and
(ii) the graduates of the University; and
(e) such other persons as may be determined by by-law of the Board.
Size and requirements of Board
(3) The Board may by by-law establish the number of members to be elected under clauses (2) (c), (d) and (e) and establish the method of electing or appointing such members but,
(a) the Board shall consist of at least 15 members and not more than 40 members; and
(b) the students, teaching staff and non-teaching staff shall not individually or collectively form a majority of the Board.
8. Members of the Board, other than the members described in clauses 7 (2) (a) and (b), shall be Canadian citizens.
Term of office
9. (1) Members of the Board, other than the members described in clauses 7 (2) (a) and (b), shall hold office for three years, shall be eligible for reappointment for one additional consecutive term and shall hold office until a successor is appointed.
(2) Despite subsection (1), the Board shall by by-law provide for the appointment and retirement of members, other than the members described in clauses 7 (2) (a) and (b), in rotation.
10. (1) The members of the Board in office immediately before the coming into force of the University of St. Jerome's College Act, 1996 are continued in office until their successors are appointed or elected in accordance with this Act.
By-laws, etc., continued
(2) Subject to this Act, all by-laws, resolutions and appointments of the Board as it existed before the coming into force of the University of St. Jerome's College Act, 1996 continue as by-laws, resolutions and appointments until amended, repealed or revoked.
(3) Within four months after the coming into force of the University of St. Jerome's College Act, 1996, the Board shall be reconstituted in the manner set out in subsection 7 (2).
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the University of St. Jerome's College Act, 1996.