The Bill amends the Ammunition Regulation Act, 1994. It allows municipalities to pass a by-law opting in to a prohibition on the sale or provision of handgun ammunition within the municipality’s territorial boundaries.
Bill 30 2018
An Act to amend the Ammunition Regulation Act, 1994 with respect to the sale of handgun ammunition
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1 Section 1 of the Ammunition Regulation Act, 1994 is amended by adding the following definitions:
“handgun” has the same meaning as in subsection 84 (1) of the Criminal Code (Canada); (“arme de poing”)
“handgun ammunition” means ammunition that is capable of being discharged from a handgun. (“munitions pour armes de poing”)
2 The Act is amended by adding the following section:
Optional restriction re sale of handgun ammunition
3.1 (1) The council of a municipality may, by by-law, opt to have this section apply within the municipality’s territorial boundaries.
(2) No person shall sell or provide handgun ammunition to any person within the territorial boundaries described in subsection (1).
(3) For greater certainty, subsection (2) applies if the ammunition is sold online and delivered to a person within the territorial boundaries described in subsection (1).
(4) A person who contravenes subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable,
(a) for a first offence, to a fine of not more than $50,000;
(b) for a second or subsequent offence, to a fine of not more than $75,000.
3 (1) Section 5 of the Act is amended by adding the following clause:
(c) subject to subsection (2), exempting any person or class of persons from the application of section 3.1 and specifying conditions or restrictions for the exemption.
(2) Section 5 of the Act is amended by adding the following subsection:
(2) Before making a regulation under clause (1) (c), the Minister must prepare a report detailing the reasons for making the proposed regulation and,
(a) lay the report before the Assembly, if the Assembly is in session; or
(b) deposit the report with the Clerk of the Assembly, if the Assembly is not in session.
4 This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
5 The short title of this Act is the Fighting Back Against Handguns Act (Handgun Ammunition Sales), 2018.