The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act to provide for the issuance of Memorial Cross number plates to recipients of the Memorial Cross.
Bill 68 2018
An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act to provide Memorial Cross Number Plates
Memorial Cross recipients are the family members of Canadian military personnel who have made the supreme sacrifice and lost their lives in combat zones as a result of their service to Canada. Providing these family members with Memorial Cross number plates shows respect for the magnitude of this sacrifice.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1 Subsection 7 (24) of the Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following clause:
(p) prescribing vehicles for the purposes of clause 7.0.1 (4) (e).
2 The Act is amended by adding the following section:
Memorial Cross number plates
7.0.1 (1) In this section,
"Memorial Cross recipient" means a person who has been granted the Memorial Cross by the Government of Canada.
(2) The Ministry shall issue Memorial Cross number plates to any person who,
(a) is a Memorial Cross recipient;
(b) is the registered owner, joint owner or lessee of a vehicle that is eligible under subsection (4); and
(c) applies for Memorial Cross number plates in accordance with the regulations.
Souvenir Memorial Cross number plate
(3) A Memorial Cross recipient who is not the registered owner, joint owner or lessee of a vehicle that is eligible under subsection (4) shall be issued a souvenir Memorial Cross number plate if the person applies for the souvenir Memorial Cross number plate in accordance with the regulations.
(4) A vehicle is eligible for Memorial Cross number plates unless the vehicle is,
(a) a commercial vehicle with a gross weight exceeding 5,500 kilograms;
(b) a motorcycle;
(c) a utility or commercial trailer;
(d) an off-road vehicle; or
(e) a prescribed vehicle.
(5) A Memorial Cross recipient is eligible to receive Memorial Cross number plates for one eligible vehicle.
No fee charged
(6) No fee may be prescribed under clause 5 (1) (a) with respect to Memorial Cross number plates.
(7) Memorial Cross number plates may not bear a requested number.
3 This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4 The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Memorial Cross Number Plates), 2018.