Bill 131 2010
An Act to amend the Ombudsman Act to give the Ombudsman power to investigate designated public bodies
Note: This Act amends the Ombudsman Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History at www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. (1) The Ombudsman Act is amended by adding the following section:
Ombudsman may investigate designated public bodies
14.1 (1) Anything that the Ombudsman may do under this Act in respect of a governmental organization, the Ombudsman may do in respect of,
(a) a society within the meaning of the Child and Family Services Act;
(b) a board within the meaning of the Education Act;
(c) a home for special care within the meaning of the Homes for Special Care Act;
(d) a long-term care home within the meaning of the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007;
(e) a private hospital within the meaning of the Private Hospitals Act; and
(f) a hospital within the meaning of the Public Hospitals Act.
Reference to a governmental organization
(2) If the Ombudsman does or proposes to do anything in respect of a body listed in subsection (1), any reference in this Act to a governmental organization shall be read as a reference to the body.
(2) Subsection 14.1 (1) of the Act, as enacted by subsection (1), is amended by adding the following clause:
(g) a retirement home within the meaning of the Retirement Homes Act, 2010.
2. (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
(2) Subsection 1 (2) comes into force on the later of the day this Act receives Royal Assent and the day section 35 of the Retirement Homes Act, 2010 comes into force.
3. The short title of this Act is the Ombudsman Amendment Act (Designated Public Bodies), 2010.
The Bill amends the Ombudsman Act to give power to the Ombudsman to do anything it may do under the Act in respect of a governmental organization in respect of a hospital, long-term care home, school board, children's aid society and retirement home.