Bill 214 2009
An Act to amend the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997 with respect to fire sprinkler retrofitting
Note: This Act amends the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History at www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997 is amended by adding the following definition:
"care occupancy" means a care occupancy as defined in the regulations; ("établissement de soins")
2. The Act is amended by adding the following Part:
Requirement to retrofit
11.1 (1) A building described in subsection (2) that exists on the day this section comes into force shall be equipped with,
(a) a system of automatic sprinklers that is designed, constructed, installed and tested in conformance with NFPA 13 R, "Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Residential Occupancies up to and Including Four Stories in Height"; or
(b) a system of automatic sprinklers that is already installed in the building on the day this section comes into force and that has been approved by the Chief Fire Official as providing protection equivalent to the protection provided by a system mentioned in clause (a).
(2) Subject to subsection (3), subsection (1) applies to a care occupancy that,
(a) has a resident capacity of more than 10; and
(b) has existed since before March 16, 1998.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a private hospital regulated under the Private Hospitals Act or a public hospital regulated under the Public Hospitals Act.
3. This Act comes into force on January 1, 2015.
4. The short title of this Act is the Fire Protection and Prevention Amendment Act (Fire Sprinkler Retrofitting), 2009.
The Bill amends the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997 to require that specified care occupancies that have been in existence since before March 16, 1998 be equipped with a system of automatic sprinklers.