Bill 98 2006
An Act to require
reporting on increased
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. In this Act,
"chief building official" means a chief building official appointed or constituted under section 3 or 4 of the Building Code Act; ("chef du service du bâtiment")
"construct" means to do anything in the erection, installation, extension or material alteration or repair of a building and includes the installation of a building unit fabricated or moved from elsewhere, and "construction" has a corresponding meaning; ("construire", "construction", "travaux de construction")
"municipality" means a local municipality. ("municipalité")
Report on energy consumption
2. Every person who causes a building to be constructed shall report to the chief building official in the municipality where the building permit under the Building Code Act was issued,
(a) on the estimated annual amount of electricity that will be consumed in respect of the building when it is complete, in the case of a new building; or
(b) on the estimated annual amount of increased electricity, if any, that will be consumed in respect of the building when it is complete, in the case of a building that is being extended, materially altered or repaired.
Report to Minister of Energy
3. The chief building official in a municipality shall annually report to the Minister of Energy on the estimated annual increase in electricity consumption in the municipality based on the reports that the chief building official has received under section 2 in the previous year.
Use of report
4. The Minister of Energy shall use the reports that he or she receives under section 3 in planning for the future energy needs of the Province.
5. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Increase in Electricity Consumption Reporting Act, 2006.
The Bill enacts the Increase in Electricity Consumption Reporting Act, 2006. The Act requires that every person who causes a building to be constructed report the anticipated annual electricity use, in the case of a new building, or the annual increase, if any, in electricity use in a building that is being extended, materially altered or repaired. The report is made to the chief building official in a municipality. On an annual basis, the chief building official is required to report to the Minister of Energy on the anticipated annual increase in electricity use in the municipality based on the reports he or she has received. The Minister shall use this information in planning for the energy needs of the Province.