Bill 72 2006
An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act to require that all school buses be equipped with safety crossing arms
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. (1) Section 175 of the Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following subsection:
School bus safety crossing arms
(4.1) All school buses shall be equipped with a pedestrian-student safety crossing arm that meets the following standards:
1. The pedestrian-student safety crossing arm must be located at the right front corner of the chassis of the school bus.
2. The pedestrian-student safety crossing arm must automatically open to its fully extended position whenever the school bus stop arm is activated. The crossing arm must return to its park position when the stop arm is deactivated.
3. The pedestrian-student safety crossing arm must extend a minimum of 1.8 metres forward from the right front face of the chassis bumper.
4. The pedestrian-student safety crossing arm must be electrically operated or air-operated and must be designed to operate in temperatures as low as -50 degrees Celsius.
(2) Subsection 175 (5) of the Act is amended by striking out "subsection (3) or (4)" and substituting "subsection (3), (4) or (4.1)".
2. This Act comes into force on September 4, 2007.
3. The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Brandon's Law), 2006.
The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act to require that all school buses be equipped with pedestrian-student safety crossing arms.