Bill 177 2005
An Act to amend the
Election Finances Act respecting the
ongoing disclosure of contributions
by registered political parties and
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 2 of the Election Finances Act is amended by adding the following subsections:
(1.1) The Chief Election Officer shall promptly publish information that is filed with him or her under section 41.0.1 on a website on the Internet.
(1.2) Information published under subsection (1.1) shall be accompanied by,
(a) a disclaimer stating that the information has not been examined by the Chief Election Officer and that audited financial statements relating to contributions are examined by the Chief Election Officer on an annual basis; and
(b) once the annual report that contains the information filed under section 41.0.1 has been examined and published by the Chief Election Officer, web links to the portion of the website that pertains to the report.
2. The Act is amended by adding the following section:
Ongoing filing of contribution records
41.0.1 (1) Within seven days of depositing a contribution in excess of $500, the chief financial officer of every political party and constituency association registered under this Act shall file with the Chief Election Officer the name of the contributor and the amount of the contribution.
(2) Subsection (1) applies in respect of a single contribution in excess of $500 and contributions from a single source that in the aggregate exceed $500.
3. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the Election Finances Amendment Act (Ongoing Disclosure of Contributions), 2005.
The Bill amends the Election Finances Act to provide that the chief financial officer of every political party and constituency association must, within seven days of depositing a contribution in excess of $500, file with the Chief Election Officer the name of the contributor and the amount of the contribution.