An Act to amend the
Highway Traffic Act
to prohibit persons
from riding on the outside
of a motor vehicle
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following section:
Prohibition against outside riding
106.1 (1) No person shall ride or permit any other person to ride on the outside of a motor vehicle.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to,
(a)a fire department vehicle; or
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to the following motor vehicles travelling at a rate of speed of less than 60 kilometres per hour:
1.A motor assisted bicycle.
2.A motor vehicle engaged in highway construction or maintenance.
3.A motor vehicle engaged in agricultural, horticultural or livestock raising operations.
4.A motor vehicle engaged in providing municipal services, including garbage collection.
5.A motor vehicle engaged in work, where the nature of the person's work requires the person to ride on the outside of the motor vehicle.
(4) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations exempting from subsection (1) any class of motor vehicle or passenger and prescribing conditions for any such exemptions.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Outside Riders), 2000.
The Bill prohibits a person or permitting a person from riding on the outside of a motor vehicle. Specific exceptions are provided, including where a motor vehicle is engaged in work, and the nature of the person's work requires him or her to ride on the outside of the motor vehicle.