When the Legislative Building opened in 1893, the Chamber ceiling and upper walls were completely covered in ornate murals done by artist Gustav Hahn. In the early 1900s, these murals were plastered over with layers of canvas, horse hair and paint in an effort to dampen the echo in the room.
Pieces of the murals have since been restored – for example the maple leaf motif. Restoration work done in the late 1990s also uncovered parts of the allegorical figures Power and Wisdom. The four original chandeliers have remained, retrofitted over the years to reflect modern lighting technology.