The Bill enacts the Connected Communities Act, 2022, which requires the Government of Ontario to maintain a strategy that aims to reduce instances of loneliness and social isolation in Ontario and support persons who may be struggling with loneliness or social isolation. The Act provides one year for the development of an initial strategy and requires the Government of Ontario to subsequently review the strategy at least once every five years. Consultations are required when developing or reviewing the strategy. Regulation-making authority is also provided for.
Bill 104 2022
An Act to enact the Connected Communities Act, 2022
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1 In this Act,
“Minister” means the Minister of Children, Community and Social Services or such other member of the Executive Council to whom the administration of this Act is assigned under the Executive Council Act.
2 (1) The Government of Ontario shall maintain a strategy that aims to reduce instances of loneliness and social isolation in Ontario and support persons who may be struggling with loneliness or social isolation.
Content of strategy
(2) The strategy shall include initiatives to achieve the aims referred to in subsection (1) and address any other related matters the Minister considers appropriate.
(3) The Government of Ontario shall develop its initial strategy on or before the first anniversary of the day on which this Act receives Royal Assent.
Review of strategy
(4) After the development of the initial strategy, the Government of Ontario shall review the strategy at least once every five years.
3 The Minister shall periodically publish reports on the actions taken as part of the strategy.
Development and review of the strategy
4 (1) Before developing the initial strategy, or as part of any subsequent review, the Minister shall,
(a) inform the public that the strategy is being developed or reviewed, as the case may be, and solicit the views of the public with respect to the strategy; and
(b) consult, in the manner the Minister considers appropriate, with such community organizations, individuals, other levels of government and stakeholders as the Minister considers appropriate.
Steps following a review
(2) After a review is completed, the Government of Ontario shall do one of the following:
1. Amend the strategy.
2. Replace the strategy with a new one.
3. Continue the existing strategy.
(3) The Minister shall ensure that the most recent version of the strategy is published on a Government of Ontario website.
5 The Minister may make regulations,
(a) implementing measures to achieve the aims of the strategy;
(b) governing the enforcement of any regulations made under this Act, including providing for the appointment of inspectors and their powers and duties.
6 This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
7 The short title of this Act is the Connected Communities Act, 2022.