Bill 81 2016
An Act to amend the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 to give preference to veterans for access to beds
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Subsection 2 (1) of the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 is amended by adding the following definition:
(a) a veteran as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the War Veterans Allowance Act (Canada), and
(b) a person who was an officer as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the National Defence Act (Canada) or who was a non-commissioned member as defined in that subsection; ("ancien combattant")
2. Section 51 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Preference for veterans
51. The Minister shall ensure that preference is given to veterans for access to beds.
3. Clause 55 (2) (h) of the Act is repealed.
4. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
5. The short title of this Act is the Long-Term Care Homes Amendment Act (Preference for Veterans), 2016.
The Bill amends the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 to require the Minister to ensure that preference in admission to long-term care homes is given to veterans. The Bill also amends the Act by enacting a definition of "veteran" that includes former officers and former non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces.