Bill 72 2016
An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act to provide rules for the use of roundabouts
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following section:
Rules re roundabouts
146.2 (1) In this section,
"roundabout" means an intersection with one-way circulation counter-clockwise around a central island where entering traffic must yield the right-of-way to the traffic circulating within the intersection.
Minister to establish rules re roundabouts
(2) The Minister may make regulations establishing rules of the road that apply to roundabouts.
Minister to conduct study, consult with public
(3) Before making a regulation under subsection (2), the Minister shall,
(a) conduct a study about the safe use of roundabouts; and
(b) consult with members of the public about the use of roundabouts.
Content of study
(4) The study referred to in clause (3) (a) shall address the following matters:
1. Use of crosswalks.
2. Signs and markings.
4. Commercial vehicles.
5. Speed limits.
7. Entering and exiting roundabouts.
8. Uniformity of road design standards, including consistency in lane width.
9. Compliance with accessibility standards established under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
10. Any other matter that the Minister considers appropriate.
Application of subs. (3)
(5) Subsection (3) does not apply to regulations that amend, remake or revoke the first regulation made under subsection (2).
Tabling report in Assembly
(6) Unless a regulation is made under subsection (2), the Minister shall, on every anniversary of the day the Safe Roundabouts Act, 2016 receives Royal Assent, table a report in the Legislative Assembly that includes a detailed description of the required study and public consultations and of the progress that has been made in developing the regulation.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Safe Roundabouts Act, 2016.
The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act to enable the Minister to make regulations establishing rules of the road that apply to roundabouts. Before making a regulation, the Minister must conduct a study about the safe use of roundabouts and must consult with members of the public. The Minister is required to table a progress report in the Legislative Assembly every year until a regulation is made.