Bill 51 2014
An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act with respect to utility task and all-terrain vehicles
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. (1) Subsection 191.8 (1) of the Highway Traffic Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Off-road vehicles on highways regulated by regulations, by-laws
(1) No person shall drive an off-road vehicle on a highway except in accordance with subsection (1.1), the regulations and any applicable municipal by-laws.
(1.1) A utility task vehicle may be driven on any highway on which an all-terrain vehicle may be driven, and any regulation or by-law that applies to all-terrain vehicles shall also apply to utility task vehicles.
(2) Subsection 191.8 (5) of the Act is amended by adding the following definitions:
"all-terrain vehicle" means an off-road vehicle that,
(a) has four wheels, the tires of all of which are in contact with the ground,
(b) has steering handlebars,
(c) has a seat that is designed to be straddled by the driver, and
(d) is designed to carry a driver only and no passengers; ("véhicule polyvalent")
"utility task vehicle" means an off-road vehicle that,
(a) is designed for utility applications or uses on all terrains,
(b) has four or more wheels,
(c) has a seat that is not designed to be straddled by the driver, and
(d) is designed to carry a driver and one or more passengers; ("autoquad")
2. This Act comes into force on a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor.
3. The short title of this Act is the Utility Task and All-Terrain Vehicles Act, 2014.
The Highway Traffic Act is amended to provide that no person shall drive an off-road vehicle on a highway except in accordance with the stated exceptions. One of the exceptions is that a utility task vehicle may be driven on any highway on which an all-terrain vehicle may be driven, and that any regulations or by-laws applicable to all-terrain vehicles also apply to utility task vehicles.
A utility task vehicle is defined as an off-road vehicle meeting certain specifications, including the specification that the vehicle is designed to carry a driver and one or more passengers.