Bill 46 2014
And Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act in respect of off-road vehicles
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. (1) Subsection 191.8 (2) of the Highway Traffic Act is amended by striking out "The Lieutenant Governor in Council" in the portion before clause (a) and substituting "Subject to subsection (2.1), the Lieutenant Governor in Council".
(2) Section 191.8 of the Act is amended by adding the following subsection:
Same - limit on regulations
(2.1) A regulation made under subsection (2) shall not do either of the following:
1. Restrict permission to drive an off-road vehicle on a highway to vehicles that are designed to carry only a driver and no passengers.
2. Restrict permission to drive an off-road vehicle on a highway to circumstances where there is only a driver and no passengers on the vehicle.
2. This Act comes into force on the day that is three months after the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Off-Road Vehicles), 2014.
The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act. Currently, the regulations under the Act restrict the operation of off-road vehicles on highways to vehicles that are designed to carry only a driver and no passengers. The Bill amends the Act to prevent regulations made under the Act from restricting permission to operate off-road vehicles on highways to vehicles that are designed to carry only a driver and no passengers or to circumstances where there is only one driver and no passenger on the vehicle.