Bill 197 2016
An Act to amend the Education Act with respect to the planting of allergenic plants on school premises
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Part II.1 of the Education Act is amended by adding the following section:
Planting of Allergenic Plants
Planting of new allergenic plants prohibited
58.0.1 (1) Every board shall ensure that no new allergenic plants are planted on school premises.
Meaning of allergenic
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a plant is allergenic if it meets the prescribed allergenicity requirements.
(3) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing allergenicity requirements for the purposes of subsection (2).
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Allergy Friendly Schoolyard Act, 2016.
The Bill amends the Education Act to require every district school board or school authority to ensure that no new allergenic plants are planted on school premises. A plant is considered allergenic if it meets the allergenicity requirements prescribed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.