Bill 192 2016
An Act to Amend the Highway Traffic Act with respect to lifesaving technologies
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following section:
Regulations re lifesaving technologies, offences
81.1 (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,
(a) requiring motor vehicles of a prescribed type or in a prescribed class and registered in Ontario on or after January 1, 2020 to be equipped with collision avoidance systems/intelligent drive technologies, post-collision/accident rescue safety technologies or both or any other such lifesaving technologies as may be prescribed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council;
(b) setting fines that shall be paid by a manufacturer of motor vehicles or person who operates a motor vehicle who contravenes or fails to comply with a regulation made under clause (a).
(2) Every manufacturer who manufactures a motor vehicle that does not meet the requirements of a regulation made under subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to the fine set out in the regulations made under this Act.
Offences, operator of vehicle
(3) Every person who operates a motor vehicle that does not meet the requirements of a regulation made under subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to the fine set out in the regulations made under this Act.
(4) In this section,
"collision avoidance system/intelligent drive technology" means a technology designed to improve safety and assist the driver of the motor vehicle in helping to avoid or mitigate a crash and includes front crash prevention technologies, lane departure warning technologies, adaptive headlight technologies, blind spot detection technologies, automatic parking and park assist technologies and technologies that provide visibility around the motor vehicle; ("système anticollision/de technologie de conduite intelligente")
"post-collision/accident rescue safety technology" means a technology designed to assist first responders in accessing technical information related to a motor vehicle in an emergency situation. ("technologie de sécurité après une collision ou un accident")
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Keep our Roads Safer through the use of Intelligent Drive Technologies), 2016.
This Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act to provide the Lieutenant Governor in Council with the authority to make regulations relating to lifesaving technologies requirements for vehicles.