Bill 124 2015
An Act to cap the top public sector salaries
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. In this Act,
"employee" and "public sector" have the same meaning as in the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act, 1996; ("employé", "secteur public")
"prescribed" means prescribed by a regulation made under this Act; ("prescrit")
"salary" means salary as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act, 1996. ("traitement")
2. A public sector employee's annual salary shall not exceed the amount that is twice the Premier's annual salary as described in subsections 3 (1) and (2) of the Executive Council Act.
3. Section 2 does not apply to a salary,
(a) established before the day that this Act comes into force;
(b) established under a collective agreement; or
(c) payable to an individual in a prescribed position in which the individual is required to perform scientific or technical functions.
4. In the event of conflict between this Act and any other Act, this Act prevails.
5. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations for the purposes of clause 3 (c).
6. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
7. The short title of this Act is the Capping Top Public Sector Salaries Act, 2015.
The Bill enacts the Capping Top Public Sector Salaries Act, 2015. Under the Act, a public sector employee's salary shall not exceed the amount that is twice the Premier's annual salary. Exceptions are provided for salaries that were established before the Bill comes into force, for salaries that are established under a collective agreement, and for salaries of employees prescribed by regulation for work of a scientific or technical nature.