Bill 123 2015
An Act to amend the French Language Services Act with respect to the provision of services in French
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The definition of "service" in section 1 of the French Language Services Act is repealed and the following substituted:
"service" means any service or procedure that is provided to the public by a government agency, institution of the Legislature or constituency office of a member of the Assembly and includes all communications for the purpose. ("service")
2. Subsection 5 (1) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Right to services in French
(1) A person has the right in accordance with this Act to communicate in French with, and to receive available services in French from, any head or central office of a government agency, institution of the Legislature, and has the same right in respect of any other office of such agency or institution, and constituency office of a member of the Assembly, that is located in or serves an area designated in the Schedule.
3. Section 7 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Limitation of obligations of government agencies, etc.
7. The obligations of government agencies, institutions of the Legislature and constituency offices under this Act are subject to such limits as circumstances make reasonable and necessary, if all reasonable measures and plans for compliance with this Act have been taken or made.
4. This Act comes into force on October 5, 2018.
5. The short title of this Act is the French Language Services in MPP Constituency Offices Act, 2015.
Sections 1 and 7 and subsection 5 (1) of the French Language Services Act are amended in order to make the Act applicable to constituency offices of members of the Legislative Assembly.