Bill 94 2010
An Act to amend the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 with respect to reporting bed bug information
Note: This Act amends the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History at www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 is amended by adding the following section:
Bed bug information report
10.1 (1) Before entering into a tenancy agreement, the landlord shall provide to the prospective tenant a report stating,
(a) whether any information has come to the landlord's attention during the previous five-year period with respect to bed bugs in the rental unit or in any other rental unit in the residential complex; and
(b) if any information has come to the landlord's attention, details with respect to the information.
(2) The bed bug information report referred to in subsection (1) shall be in a form provided by the Board.
2. Section 234 of the Act is amended by adding the following clause:
(0.a) fails to provide a prospective tenant with a report required under section 10.1 or gives false information in the report;
3. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the Renters' Right to Know Act, 2010.
The Bill amends the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 to require landlords, before a tenancy agreement is entered into, to disclose information that has come to the landlord's attention during the previous five-year period with respect to bed bugs in a rental unit or any other rental unit in a residential complex.