Bill 76 2010
An Act respecting visual fire alarm systems in public buildings
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Visual fire alarm system in public buildings
1. (1) All new provincial and municipal public buildings shall be equipped with a visual fire alarm system.
(2) Subsection (1) applies to a provincial or municipal public building for which a building permit application is made on or after the first anniversary of the day this section comes into force.
Attributes of visual fire alarm system
2. (1) A visual fire alarm system shall include a strobe beacon or similar feature that is sufficient in the circumstances of the public building to alert people who are deaf or hard of hearing to the fire alarm.
(2) A visual fire alarm system may include a feature that electronically displays messages in respect of the fire alarm, including some or all of the following messages:
1. The fact that the fire alarm has been activated.
2. Information on the appropriate response, including whether to evacuate the building.
3. Information on the nearest exit.
Binds the Crown
3. This Act binds the Crown.
4. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
5. The short title of this Act is the Visual Fire Alarm System Act, 2010.
The Bill requires that all new provincial and municipal public buildings be equipped with a visual fire alarm system so that deaf and hearing impaired people are alerted to fire alarms.