Bill 5 2010
An Act to establish a bill of rights for pupils with diabetes
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Bill of rights
1. While at school, a pupil with diabetes has the right to,
(a) do blood sugar checks;
(b) treat hypoglycaemia with emergency sugar;
(c) inject insulin, when necessary;
(d) eat snacks, when necessary;
(e) eat lunch at an appropriate time and have enough time to finish the meal;
(f) have free and unrestricted access to water and the bathroom; and
(g) participate fully in physical education classes, gym classes and other extracurricular activities, including field trips.
Duty of boards and school authorities
2. Every district school board and school authority shall ensure that the bill of rights set out in section 1 is respected and enforced.
3. Expressions in this Act related to education have the same meaning as in the Education Act.
4. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
5. The short title of this Act is the Bill of Rights for Pupils with Diabetes, 2010.
The Bill sets out various rights that a pupil with diabetes has with respect to caring for his or her diabetes while at school.