Bill 34 2010
An Act to proclaim Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. The colourless, odourless gas can rise to deadly levels in a home without residents being aware of its presence.
On December 1, 2008, carbon monoxide poisoning caused the deaths of Richard Hawkins and his two children, Jordan and Cassandra, in their Woodstock home. Laurie Hawkins, an OPP Constable, was critically injured on that date and died on December 9, 2008. Investigation into their deaths showed that an external vent had been blocked, causing lethal levels of carbon monoxide to build up in the home.
Each year in Ontario, families are devastated by the deadly effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. These deaths can be prevented.
Proclaiming Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week will educate Ontarians on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and the ways in which it can be prevented.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week
1. The first week of December in each year is proclaimed as Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week Act, 2010.
The Bill proclaims the first week of December in each year as Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.