Bill 193 2011
An Act to amend the French Language Services Act with respect to the French Language Services Commissioner's reporting requirements
Note: This Act amends the French Language Services Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History at www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 12.5 of the French Language Services Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Annual and special reports
12.5 (1) The Commissioner shall prepare and submit to the Speaker of the Assembly an annual report on his or her activities, which may include recommendations for improving the provision of French language services.
(2) The Commissioner may at any time make a special report to the Speaker of the Assembly on any matter related to this Act that, in the opinion of the Commissioner, should not be deferred until the annual report.
Tabling of report
(3) The Speaker shall lay any report received from the Commissioner under this section before the Assembly as soon as reasonably possible.
2. Section 12.6 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Publication of report
12.6 The Commissioner may publish, in any manner he or she considers appropriate, a report mentioned in this Act after the report has been laid before the Assembly, unless the Speaker consents to the report's earlier publication.
3. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the French Language Services Amendment Act, 2011.
Currently, the French Language Services Act requires the French Language Services Commissioner to submit annual and special reports to the Minister responsible for Francophone Affairs. The Bill amends the Act to require that these reports be submitted to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.