Bill 164 2009
An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002
Note: This Act amends the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History at www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Subsection 1 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002 is amended by adding the following definition:
"lemon" means a motor vehicle that was returned to the manufacturer under the laws of another jurisdiction because,
(a) it did not conform to the manufacturer's warranty, and
(b) it had defects or conditions that substantially impaired its use, value or safety and that were not repaired within a reasonable time period or after a reasonable number of attempts; ("véhicule de piètre qualité")
2. Subsection 30 (1) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Disclosure by motor vehicle dealers
(1) Motor vehicle dealers shall disclose in writing the following information to customers and to motor vehicle dealers and shall make the disclosure at such time as may be prescribed:
1. Whether the vehicle has been determined to be a lemon under the laws of another jurisdiction.
2. Such other information as may be prescribed.
3. This Act comes into force on the day the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002 comes into force.
4. The short title of this Act is the Motor Vehicle Dealers Amendment Act (Disclosure of Lemons), 2009.
The Bill amends the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002 to require motor vehicle dealers to disclose in writing whether a vehicle has been determined to be a lemon under the laws of another jurisdiction.