Bill 84 2008
An Act to amend the Occupational Health and Safety Act to create a registry of workplace deaths, critical injuries and occupational illnesses
Note: This Act amends the Occupational Health and Safety Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History on www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Occupational Health and Safety Act is amended by adding the following section:
Workplace death, critical injury and occupational illness registry
52.1 (1) The Minister shall maintain a registry containing the following information about all deaths, injuries, and occupational illnesses reported under subsections 51 (1) and 52 (1) and (2):
1. The name of the employer.
2. The nature of the employer's business.
3. The job title of the worker who was killed, injured or who suffered an occupational illness.
4. A description of the death, injury or occupational illness of the worker.
5. Such other information as may be prescribed.
(2) The Minister shall make the information contained in the registry readily available for examination by workers and potential workers for the purpose of identifying health and safety risks associated with workplaces.
(3) The Minister may disclose information contained in the registry to an individual or organization for scientific research or statistical purposes.
2. Subsection 70 (2) of the Act is amended by adding the following paragraph:
50. prescribing information that is not "personal information" within the meaning of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or "personal health information" within the meaning of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 to be contained in the workplace death, critical injury and occupational illness registry.
3. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the Occupational Health and Safety Amendment Act (Workplace Death, Critical Injury and Occupational Illness Registry), 2008.
The Bill amends the Occupational Health and Safety Act to create a registry of workplace deaths, critical injuries and occupational illnesses.