Bill 200 2009
An Act to increase access to breast cancer screening
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. In this Act,
"Minister" means the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care or any other member of the Executive Council to whom responsibility for the administration of this Act is assigned or transferred under the Executive Council Act.
2. (1) The Minister shall ensure that breast screening services are provided free of charge to women aged 40 to 49 years who are referred by,
(a) a physician; or
(b) a member of the College of Nurses of Ontario who is a registered nurse and who holds an extended certificate of registration under the Nursing Act, 1991.
(2) The breast screening services mentioned in subsection (1) may be provided through the Ontario Breast Screening Program of Cancer Care Ontario or that program's successor.
Cost of breast screening
(3) The cost of providing breast screening services under subsection (1) shall be paid out of funds appropriated for such purposes by the Legislature.
3. This Act comes into force six months after the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the Breast Cancer Screening Act, 2009.
The Bill requires the Minister to ensure that breast screening services are provided free of charge to women aged 40 to 49 years who are referred by a physician or a specified nurse. The breast screening services may be provided through the Ontario Breast Screening Program of Cancer Care Ontario or that program's successor.