Bill 142 2008
An Act to provide for the election of members of the board of trustees of Hamilton Health Sciences
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. In this Act,
"Hamilton Health Sciences" means the corporation that was incorporated without share capital under the Corporations Act and that was, as of December 8, 2008, known as Hamilton Health Sciences.
Board of trustees
2. Despite any other Act, law or document, the board of trustees of the Hamilton Health Sciences shall consist of 15 trustees who shall be elected in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, with one trustee to be elected from each of the 15 wards that, as of December 8, 2008, formed part of The City of Hamilton.
3. (1) The first election of the trustees mentioned in section 2 shall take place at the regular municipal election held under the authority of subsection 4 (1) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 in November, 2010.
(2) Until members of the board of trustees who are elected as provided for in subsection (1) take office, the members of the board of trustees shall be those persons who are trustees on the day this Act comes into force.
4. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,
(a) to expedite the election of trustees under this Act, including modifying the application of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 to such elections;
(b) providing for additional members of the board of trustees of Hamilton Health Sciences;
(c) generally for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act.
5. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Hamilton Health Sciences Elections Act, 2008.
The Bill provides that at least 15 of the trustees on the Hamilton Health Sciences board of trustees are to be elected to represent the 15 wards of the City of Hamilton.