Bill 134 2008
An Act to provide for the election of members of the board of trustees of the Niagara Health System
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. In this Act,
"Niagara Health System" means the corporation incorporated on March 8, 2000 that was, as of October 20, 2008, known as the Niagara Health System.
Board of trustees
2. Despite any other Act, law or document, the board of trustees of the Niagara Health System consists of 12 trustees who shall be elected in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, with one trustee to be elected from each of the area municipalities that, as of October 20, 2008, formed part of The Regional Municipality of Niagara.
3. (1) The first election of the trustees mentioned in paragraph 1 of section 2 shall take place at the regular municipal election held under the authority of subsection 4 (1) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 in November, 2010.
(2) Until members of the board of trustees who are elected as provided for in subsection (1) take office, the members of the board of trustees shall be those persons who are trustees on the day this Act comes into force.
4. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,
(a) to expedite the election of trustees under this Act, including modifying the application of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 to such elections;
(b) providing for additional members of the board of trustees of the Niagara Health System;
(c) generally for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act.
5. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Niagara Health System Elections Act, 2008.
The Bill provides that at least 12 of the trustees of the Niagara Health System are to be elected to represent the area municipalities of The Regional Municipality of Niagara.