Bill 112 2008
An Act to prohibit the sale of single-use plastic bottles of water in Ontario
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Prohibition on sale of bottled water
1. No person shall sell or offer for sale in Ontario single-use plastic bottles of water.
2. (1) An individual who contravenes section 1 is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,500.
(2) A corporation that contravenes section 1 is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable for a first offence to a fine of not more than $10,000 and for each subsequent offence to a fine of not more than $25,000.
Same, director or officer of corporation
(3) Where a corporation is guilty of an offence under subsection (2), every director or officer of the corporation who knowingly authorizes, permits or acquiesces in the offence is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $5,000 or to imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.
Same, separate offence
(4) Each day of a contravention of section 1 constitutes a separate offence.
3. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the Single-Use Bottled Water Ban Act, 2008.
The purpose of the Bill is to encourage public confidence in the water treated and supplied by municipal water systems and to reduce waste and the consumption of energy associated with the production and recycling of plastic bottles by proposing a province-wide ban on the sale of single-use plastic bottles of water.