Bill 168 2006
An Act to amend the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997
Note: This Act amends the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997. For the legislative history of the Act, see Public Statutes - Detailed Legislative History on www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 49 of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 is repealed and the following substituted:
General indexing factor
49. (1) On January 1 every year, a general indexing factor shall be calculated.
(2) The general indexing factor is the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index for Canada for all items, for the 12-month period ending on October 31 of the previous year, as published by Statistics Canada. However, the indexing factor shall be not less than 0 per cent.
(3) The general indexing factor applies with respect to all amounts payable under this Part.
2. Section 50 of the Act is repealed.
3. Subsection 51 (1) of the Act is amended by striking out "subsection 49 (1)" at the end and substituting "subsection 49 (2)".
4. Subsection 52 (1) of the Act is amended by striking out "by applying the general or alternate indexing factor, as the case may be" and substituting "by applying the general indexing factor".
5. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Workplace Safety and Insurance Amendment Act , 2006.
The Bill amends the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 by creating a single general indexing factor based on the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index for the previous year.