Bill 98 2003
An Act to amend the
Compensation for Victims
of Crime Act
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. (1) Section 28 of the Compensation for Victims of Crime Act is amended by adding the following clause:
(c.1) requiring that the amount awarded by the Board be indexed to the cost of living as described in subsection (2);
(2) Section 28 of the Act is amended by adding the following subsections:
Indexing amount of award
(2) A regulation made under clause (1) (c.1) may provide that the amount awarded by the Board be adjusted on April 1 in each year by multiplying it by the indexing factor for the year.
(3) The indexing factor for a year is the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index for Ontario for prices of all items between the month of January in that year and the same month in the previous year, as published by Statistics Canada.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Compensation for Victims of Crime Amendment Act, 2003.
The Bill amends the Compensation for Victims of Crime Act to permit the Lieutenant Governor in Council to make regulations requiring annual cost-of-living adjustments to awards made under the Act.