Bill 75 2003
An Act to amend the
Ontario Disability Support
Program Act, 1997 to empower
the Integrity Commissioner
to determine the level of
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 11 of the Ontario Disability Support Program Act, 1997 is repealed and the following substituted:
Determination of income support
11. (1) The amount of income support to be provided and the time and manner of providing that support shall be determined in accordance with the regulations, but in making the regulations, the Lieutenant Governor in Council shall consider the recommendations made in a report made under this section.
Income support review
(2) The Integrity Commissioner appointed under the Members' Integrity Act, 1994 shall, at such intervals as he or she considers appropriate, review the amount of income support paid under subsection (1) and make recommendations concerning the appropriate amount of support and the time and manner for providing it.
(3) Following each review, the Integrity Commissioner shall prepare a report setting out his or her recommendations on the appropriate amount of income support and the time and manner for providing it.
(4) The report of the Integrity Commissioner may recommend,
(a) that some classes of income support be made mandatory and must be provided to persons who are eligible and other classes of income support be made discretionary;
(b) the classes of persons who will be eligible to receive the income support; and
(c) the method of determining what portion of income support should be provided with respect to each person.
(5) The Integrity Commissioner shall cause a copy of the report to be delivered to the Speaker who shall, at the first opportunity, cause it to be tabled in the Assembly and published in The Ontario Gazette.
(6) If the report recommends an increase in the amount of income support, it may also recommend that the increase may be retroactive to a date before the regulation made by the Lieutenant Governor in Council is filed.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Ontario Disability Support Program Amendment Act, 2003.
The Bill amends the Ontario Disability Support Program Act, 1997 to empower the Integrity Commissioner to make recommendations concerning the level of income support to be set by the Lieutenant Governor in Council under the program and the time and manner of providing it.