Bill 10 2003
An Act to proclaim Fire Prevention Week,
Firefighter Recognition Day and Firefighter Memorial Day
Every year in Ontario, fires cause a great deal of damage to property and injury to people. Fortunately, in recent years, great progress has been made in reducing the damage and in having the public adopt safety measures to avoid fires. The progress is due in large part to the work of firefighters.
Fire fighting is one of the most dangerous professions. Firefighters working on behalf of the people of Ontario are called upon to take extraordinary risks every day in order to protect the public from the dangers posed by fires and other life-threatening situations. Many firefighters have given their lives in the performance of their duties.
It is appropriate to promote public awareness of the importance of fire safety and prevention. Given the enormous commitment that firefighters in Ontario have demonstrated repeatedly to the people of the Province, it is appropriate to proclaim a day to recognize their contribution in protecting the public from the dangers posed by fires and other life-threatening situations and a day to recognize the contribution of firefighters who have fallen in the line of duty. These days will provide an opportunity for all Ontarians to honour and recognize the important contribution that firefighters make to preserving our safety and well-being.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Fire Prevention Week
1. The week in each year that begins on a Sunday and in which October 9 falls is proclaimed as Fire Prevention Week.
Firefighter Recognition Day
2. The Saturday that is the last day in Fire Prevention Week in each year is proclaimed as Firefighter Recognition Day.
Firefighter Memorial Day
3. The first Sunday in October in each year is proclaimed as Firefighter Memorial Day.
4. The Firefighters' Memorial Day Act, 2000 is repealed.
5. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Fire Prevention Week and Firefighter Recognition Act, 2003.
The Bill proclaims the week in each year that begins on a Sunday and in which October 9 falls as Fire Prevention Week. It also proclaims the Saturday that is the last day in that week as Firefighter Recognition Day and the first Sunday in October in each year as Firefighter Memorial Day.