Bill 119 2001
An Act to amend
the Highway Traffic Act
in respect of studded tires
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following section:
69.1 (1) In this section,
"Northern Ontario" means the part of Ontario prescribed by the regulations as Northern Ontario; ("Nord de l'Ontario")
"studded tire" means a tire that has imbedded in its tread hard devices that project beyond the tread; ("pneu clouté")
"tread" means the portion of the tire that comes into contact with the road. ("semelle")
Studded tires prohibited
(2) Subject to subsection (3), no person shall operate a vehicle equipped with a studded tire on a highway.
(3) A motor vehicle equipped with studded tires which conform to prescribed standards and specifications,
(a) may be operated on a highway in Northern Ontario; and
(b) may be operated on a highway anywhere in Ontario, if the address of the owner of the vehicle is in Northern Ontario.
(4) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,
(a) prescribing the part of Ontario that is Northern Ontario;
(b) prescribing standards and specifications for studded tires.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Studded Tires), 2001.
The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act. The use of studded tires is generally prohibited, with two exceptions. A motor vehicle with studded tires that conform to prescribed standards and specifications may be operated on a highway in the part of Ontario prescribed by the regulations as Northern Ontario. It may also be operated on a highway anywhere in Ontario, if the address of the owner of the vehicle is in Northern Ontario.