Bill 110 2002
An Act to control
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. (1) This Act applies to mega-hog farms.
(2) In this Act,
"mega-hog farm" mean a hog farm where at any one time at least,
(a) 250 sows with offspring in a farrow to finish operation are present,
(b) 3,000 weaners in a hot nursery operation are present, or
(c) 2,500 hogs in a finish operation are present.
2. All mega-hog farms shall be identified as industrial purposes for the purpose of the official plan of the municipality where the mega-hog farm is located.
Mega-hog farm not normal farm practice
3. The operation of a mega-hog farm is not a normal farm practice for purposes of the Farming and Food Production Protection Act, 1998.
4. In the event of a conflict between a municipal by-law that applies to a mega-hog farm and a provision under any Act, the provision that provides the greater protection to the environment or reduces disturbances or nuisances to a greater degree prevails.
5. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Mega-Hog Farm Control Act, 2002.
The Bill deems mega-hog farms to be identified as industrial purposes for the purposes of the official plan of the municipality where the farm is located. The operation of a mega-hog farm is not a normal farm practice under the Farming and Food Production Protection Act, 1998.