An Act to amend the
Legislative Assembly Act
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Legislative Assembly Act is amended by adding the following section:
109. (1) Each member may vote on any matter so as to reflect the will of his or her constituents.
(2) A vote that defeats a government bill shall be deemed not to be a vote of want of confidence in the government, but shall be immediately followed by a vote of confidence or want of confidence.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a budget bill or a money bill.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Legislative Assembly Amendment Act, 2000.
The Bill proposes the following change to the Act: the defeat of a government bill would not be considered a vote of no confidence, but would result in a subsequent vote of confidence or want of confidence. This provision would not apply to a budget bill or a money bill.