An Act to amend the Intercountry Adoption Act, 1998
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Clause 19 (c) of the Intercountry Adoption Act, 1998 is repealed.
2. The Act is amended by adding the following section:
Prohibition against varying expenses based on where adoption finalized
19.1 The amount charged by the Government of Ontario for expenses it incurs in connection with an intercountry adoption or a proposed intercountry adoption shall not be varied solely on the basis of where the adoption will be finalized.
3. Clause 24 (o) of the Act is amended by striking out "19 (a), (b) and (c)" and substituting "19 (a) and (b)".
4. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
5. The short title of this Act is the Intercountry Adoption Amendment Act, 2000.
The Bill repeals clause 19 (c) of the Intercountry Adoption Act, 1998. That clause provides the Director with the authority to charge for expenses he or she incurred in connection with an intercountry adoption. A new section is also added to the Act which prohibits the Government of Ontario from varying the amount it charges for intercountry adoptions solely on the basis of where the adoption will be finalized.