Bill 89 1998
An Act relating to property taxes in Hamilton-Wentworth
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Application of Act
1. This Act applies with respect to the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth and the municipalities that form part of the regional municipality.
Optional scheme for setting taxes not to apply
2. Division B of Part XXII.2 of the Municipal Act does not apply.
Minister to pay costs of reduction
3. (1) If taxes on a property are reduced under subsection 447.57 (1) of the Municipal Act, the Minister of Finance shall reimburse the municipality to which the taxes would have been owing by paying the municipality an amount equal to the reduction.
Amounts distributed as taxes
(2) An amount paid by the Minister of Finance under subsection (1) shall be distributed as though the amount were taxes on the property.
Minister to pay administrative costs
4. The Minister of Finance shall reimburse the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth and the municipalities that form part of the regional municipality for their costs of administering Part XXII.2 of the Municipal Act.
Commencement upon Bill 79 passing
5. (1) This Act comes into force upon Bill 79 (Fairness for Property Taxpayers Act, 1998), introduced on November 5, 1998, receiving Royal Assent.
Commencement if Bill 79 passes first
(2) If Bill 79 receives Royal Assent before this Act receives Royal Assent, this Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Lower Property Taxes in Hamilton-Wentworth Act, 1998.
The Bill relates to property taxes in Hamilton-Wentworth and the new Part XXII.2 that would be added to the Municipal Act by Bill 79 (Fairness for Property Taxpayers Act, 1998).
Under section 2 of the Bill, Division B of Part XXII.2, which limits both increases and decreases in property taxes from 1997 levels, will not apply in Hamilton-Wentworth. Division C of that Part, which limits increases, will continue to apply. However, if there are reductions in property taxes under section 447.57 of that Division, the Minister of Finance will be required, under section 3 of the Bill, to pay for the amount of the reduction.
Section 4 of the Bill requires the Minister of Finance to pay the costs of administering Part XXII.2. Copyright © 1998
Office of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.