Bill 27 1998
An Act to amend the Children's Law Reform Act
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 20 of the Children's Law Reform Act is amended by adding the following subsection:
Relations with grandparents
(2.1) A person who has custody of a child shall not unreasonably place obstacles to personal relations between the child and the child's grandparents.
2. Section 21 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Application for order
21. A parent or grandparent of a child or any other person may apply to a court for an order respecting custody of or access to the child or determining any aspect of the incidents of custody of the child.
3. (1) Section 24 (2) of the Act is amended by adding the following clause:
(a.1) the importance of maintaining emotional ties between the child and his or her grandparents.
(2) Section 24 of the Act is amended by adding the following subsections:
(2.1) In making an order respecting custody of or access to a child, the court shall give effect to the principle that a child should have as much contact with each parent and grandparent as is consistent with the best interests of the child.
Willingness to facilitate contact
(2.2) In making an order respecting custody of a child, the court shall take into consideration the willingness of each applicant for custody to facilitate as much contact between the child and each parent and grandparent as is consistent with the best interests of the child.
4. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
5. The short title of this Act is the Children's Law Reform Amendment Act, 1998.
Copyright © 1998
Office of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.